Monday, June 18, 2012



I really like watching Cristiano Ronaldo play. 
He may be arrogant and cocky, but when I watch him play, I can't help but cheer for him. 
It's not only because he's good-looking and has a perfect body- many other players have that too-
but there's something about him that forces me to watch all of his games.
His dynamic movement and witty expressions makes it quite fun to watch him,
and his passion and desire to win blazes straight out of the screen.

He's always been a huge player, whether he's playing for Portugal, or Real Madrid,
but when I saw the first two games of Portugal in the Group of Death,
and the way Ronaldo was breaking down on the field, I was amazed.
When was the last time Ronaldo crumbled to the ground this badly?

The entire game, he was isolated by opposite team's defense,
and even missed crucial chances to score a goal.  It was odd.
The captain, so-called Ace, and the highest paid player in the team, was far from spectacular.


Superhero's humanistic side usually disappoints the crowd. 
Cristiano Ronaldo's first two games in the Group of Death gave birth to thousands of news articles
worrying over Portugal and blaming Ronaldo for missing crucial goal chances. 
But I think Ronaldo's moment is starting now. 
Superheroes don't always prevail. 
Moments of failures and losses are what makes them stronger for the next encounter with an enemy.
In order for a human to be come a superhero, a series of failures are a must,
as it can be seen in Batman Begins. 
I have no doubt that Ronaldo will bounce back to his glorious self and a bigger hero,
if Portugal manages to squiggle out of the Group of Death alive. 

===========================================================================
Wow. I wrote this one over the weekend, before Portugal vs. Netherlands on Sunday. 
Now it's Monday.  Portugal is proceeding to the Quarter-Finals
With Ronaldo scoring both goals in the 2-1 victory against Netherlands.