Here's a recent project from
Architecture+Design School Class of 2016 at Virginia Tech.
We were given two or three small pieces of paper about 1 3/4" wide and 3" long.
In each of the piece of paper was part of a picture.
Our mission: to enlarge it 5x and sketch it onto a big piece of Bristol paper.
One of my pieces consisted entirely of leaves.
The other one, bricks.
It's not as bad as it sounds, since it only took me about 6 hours to finish.
No one knew what the final product was going to look like,
since no one had seen the whole picture before it was cut up into tiny pieces and distributed.
Today, we finally put the pieces together.
What you see, ladies and gentlemen, is the Downtown Blacksburg.
| I suggest clicking on it to see a larger version |
Not all pieces line up together exactly,
and that unfortunate guy's legs magically disappeared out of the photo,
but those things are what makes this final product so interesting.
Every little piece has a different style to it.
Every piece is unique, yet they join together to take part in a larger piece.
Part of a whole.
(p.s. I got called out today for making my blog entry on the Arch Class blog all center-aligned. Apparently, it's harder for the reader to follow when it's centered, so I decided to make this posting left-aligned like I was instructed. I guess it's some kind of design faux-pas, or a jerk move for the readers' eyes)